The first step in solving a problem is to recognize that it does exist. (Zig Ziglar)
This coolant warning light, which popped up just before the motorway exit in Rosenheim, was still in my mind. The vehicle apparently lost cooling fluid during the last 500km on the way home. A leak within the cooling circuit inside the engine block would be fatal, a leaky radiator expensive, a leaking water pump annoying and a leaky hose within the tolerance. The next morning I wanted to take care of it.
Well, I did not have to worry about that much. The problem came to me almost half way - how courteous! The green coolant paved his way through the closed garage door towards freedom. What a mess!
Of course, I'm used to my Harleys that they mark their territory with a drop of oil here and there. But this incontinent Benz has flooded the entire garage floor in its infinite generosity. That's the american way - think big! What a debut ...
To make a long story short. After some investigation, the leak was found in the radiator hose. The previous installation was apparently a botch, the hose had contact to the flywheel. Somehow, in spite of this mishap, I was facilitated. The required spare parts and 8 liters of coolant were ordered quickly.
The time until the delivery, I bridged with the registration of the car. Everything was well prepared by the previous owner - the vintage-certificate was also available. The lady in the admissions office wished me a good trip with a charming smile.
In combination with the replacement of the damaged hose, I also replaced the coolant tank. He had a small leak on the closure. And finalizing all these water-issues - the weathered spray hoses and spray nozzles for windscreen cleaning have also been redone.
Over the next few days, I took a closer look at this garage floor washer. Overall, the cars is in a good condition, ispite its 31 years and 280TKm. The hardtop was removed and initially stored in the basement. For the hardtop I will consider a solution a later time. After fixing all these issues so far, the car has been thoroughly cleaned and polished completely.
At a later point in time, I took care regarding this annoying misconstruction of the battery cover clamps. I installed small furniture hinges - fits excellent. I had a look to this non-working release lever for the foldable backrest of the driver's seat. I fixed the broken die cast part inside with a two-component glue. In this context, I have cleaned and lubricated the slide rails of the driver's seat also.